And, no, we don’t mean that’s our favorite color. (Though clearly it is…) What we mean is that here at Twisted, we’re big proponents of the idea that everyone has to do their little part to be good to the earth where we can be.
Here’s a list of things we do to try to be environmentally friendly:
- We compost what we can, including tea bags and food leftovers.
- We recycle religiously, including taking plastics not recyclable by the city’s curbside service to Far West Fibers for recycling.
- We minimize paper waste whenever possible by printing double sided documents, printing on the back of scrap paper, and cutting scrap paper into quarters sheets we fasten together with binder clips to use as notepads.
- We reuse signs and display items as much as possible instead of recreating them each time the need arises.
- We offer a 5 cent BYOB (bring your own bag) discount, as well as a 5% discount on most items if you use a Twisted branded reusable shopping bag.
- We use paper shopping bags instead of plastic.
- We used mostly recycled paint on our interior walls.
- We use filtered tap water instead of bottled water in our water cooler.
- We wash dishes instead of using disposable ones.
- Our dishwasher is the “high temperature” kind, which sanitizes with very, very hot water instead of harsh chemicals.
- We turn off most of our display lights at night to conserve power.
- We installed curtains in our big front windows to help insulate the store at night, reducing heating and AC use.
- As light bulbs burn out, we’re replacing them with CFLs.
- We installed a programmable thermostat to automatically turn off the heat and AC at night, saving power.
- We keep our water heater set low.
- We have our computer equipment set to “sleep” after periods of non-use and turn off other electronics when we can, especially at night when most plugs are also turned off by a switch to save even more power from dribbling into appliances that are off but still plugged in.